Friday, December 4, 2009

The Monster Ball In Boston, Dec. 1






























































Okay, yes I admit, this blog is turning into a GaGa fan land. I'll try to cut back a little. But first allow me to gush about the amazing Monster Ball show I saw in Boston on Tuesday night. Walking into the stunning Wang Theater on Tremont Street, you just knew this was going to be a good night. People were dressed up in snazzy outfits and the GaGa t-shirts were clever and visually glorious. Upon reaching our seats on the lower right side of the theater we watched Kid Cudi do his last song. Then, as they set up the Monster Ball stage, we watched as a dance party commenced to classic Michael Jackson being played over the speakers. People were dancing in the aisles. The man in front of me was MJ-ing it up and lip-syncing along to "Bad" with conviction and another young guy in suspenders and a t-shirt was doing some sort of dance that may have been the worm (probably not, I couldn't really see all his moves). When the intro GaGa video started playing the crowd started freaking out, me included, then the countdown clock started and I just couldn't wait. She appeared doing "Dance in the Dark" off her new album, and I was beyond excited. The Lady performed for two splendid hours. The costumes were daring and bizarre while the dancing had elements of Broadway and vaudeville. Highlights included: "Monster", off the new album as well, which involved a backdrop with demented, twisted trees and a black feathered costume for GaGa, a wonderfully choreographed version of the raw "Teeth", a sexual tormented love affair dance to campy "Alejandro" complete with a sassy cigarette (which I just noticed was there in a close-up video), "Boys Boys Boys" with GaGa wearing a black leotard-type outfit with a gun strapped across her chest and some male dancers grabbing their crotches and grinding while wearing black suspenders and pants, fun versions of The Fame (complete with shielding face from fame hand movements) and Beautiful, Dirty, Rich (remixed with great choreography including a funny don't mess with me crotch gesture). There was a slight lull when she did some of her lesser known songs such as Paper Gangsta (which did have a cool dentist chair, dead female dancer thing going on) and Fashion (good nonetheless-male dancer in high-heeled black boots). Perhaps one of the greatest moments of the night was one GaGa sat at her piano and played a fantastic, moving version of Speechless, her new ballad about her Dad. She had us sing along and was very touched when we knew all the words to the chorus. Poker Face on piano was also terrific featuring GaGa doing her usual crazy piano antics: crouching on her piano bench, standing on her piano bench, striking what seemed to be a yoga pose while we all cheered, and playing the keys with her sassy high heels (she did that at the House of Blues in March as well). When she played Speechless was when all the emotions I'd been feeling since the show started came out. I started crying. I think it was one of those moments of pop euphoria where you pretty much surrender to the music and performer. I was holding back emotion from the moment she appeared on stage. I felt uninhibited. I screamed, I sang along, I danced. Paparazzi was a dramatic staging with GaGa coming out in a black coat with super long, blonde braids and sitting in a hanging scaffold filled with theater equipment. She was lifted up while in the hanging scaffolding as she sang and her Rapunzel-like braids were cut with giant scissors by some male dancers. The high of the show had to be the Bad Romance conclusion though. When the song started, the whole theater went crazy. GaGa did the weird and amazing choreography from the video in white pants, a black bustier of sorts, and a white jacket with comically high shoulder pads. It was ferocious. We put our monster claws up in the air and danced with abandon. Throughout the whole show, GaGa had brief video interludes while she changed costumes. The best one involved GaGa in a white dress seemingly made of paper posing then another version of GaGa with dark hair (who I originally thought was an Asian model) spits up greenish liquid onto the white dress. The spit up occurs again and again. It is out there, but brilliant. Another clip involved GaGa wearing various masks (gas mask, torture masks, African masks?). One involved her smoking a cigarette through the whole in a gas mask or a diving mask. The last video we saw followed Bad Romance and was of her getting a tattoo that apparently said the word "Fans" within her heart. And boy, did GaGa profess to loving her fans throughout the show. She also had some great, zany quotes per usual (not all which I can post...scandalous!). Here are some: "I hate the truth. Give me a load of bulls**** any day.", "When I went around the world, people asked me 'GaGa, what did you see?' and I said (dramatic turn around) ' I saw monsters'", "Is this Menthol?", "Do you think I'm sexy? I think you're sexy.", "My mom's here tonight...she's like me but normal,", "I went to get a large coffee yesterday and the man at the counter didn't say anything. He gave me my coffee and said 'See you tonight' (the Lady then snaps and turns around imitating the sassy fan). That is a Lady GaGa fan." She also had a quote about Boston and certain male appendages. She has a whirlwind of an onstage persona. She screams and yells for us to scream which we do because what else would you do when GaGa asks you something like that. She lies on the stage with her legs in the air pretending to be Tinker Bell and we have to scream and cheer to bring her back to life. She commands us to show her our teeth. Also, her dancers were all superb especially two male dancers (one who was Mark from So You Think You Can Dance season 4). Mark was always the kooky, weird modern dancer on SYTYCD and GaGa is the perfect person for him to dance for. He fits her vision and gets completely into character. Many of the male dancers had a masculine and feminine side that came out in different numbers. Sometimes they flitted about the stage and sometimes they were grounded and firm. It was a fantastic change from song to song or set of songs to set of songs. The Monster Ball was an experience filled with camp, sex, fierce costumes (the revealing sexy golden Egyptian style outfit), the solar system set piece, and real artistic vision. I was moved or laughed at GaGa's vision at various points. She's very serious about her art, but also you have to take everything with a grain of salt. She's self-aware. What a night! What a crowd of lovable GaGa loons.
Bravo GaGa! Ooh, la, la!
(Thanks to CEG and GaGa Daily for the photos)
Here's the dual GaGa video interlude



Brilliant.

1 comment:

Myfizzypop said...

you may have persuaded me this is worth attending with my good friend Burn-Ice. I like most/some of her music, but she irritates me greatly (Lady Cuckoo not Burn-Ice). Still a great show is a great show :)